Wednesday, December 11, 2013

well... At least the SD CARD **SURVIVED**!!

SOME TIMES, THERE'S A REASON *WHY* I STAY "UP" UNTIL *DAWN*...


"THE BACK-STORY"

I bought My SHINY-RED-CAMERA a few Years ago, about a Month or so, before I Began THE BLOOG. -- Needed IT for a SCI-FI CONVENTION I was attending to Meet-Up with FRIENDS and, to See a PARTICULAR-ACTOR, Who strangely enough, was HERE *in* OTTAWA *THIS* Past Weekend for a LOCAL-EVENT that I had been UNable to go to! - [hmm... BAD-"KARMA"..?]

whatever... I wanted Something "small" and "inexpensive", but with Quality... The "VIDEO" Feature on IT was rather GOOD! - [I'll miss that...]

FAST-FORWARD to This Past MID-SUMMER... Whilst, using IT as a "SMART-CAMERA" at MICHAEL'S, I accidently **DROPPED** IT!! - [INSERT Silent SCREAMS of HORROR!!] - *NOT* good...

One of the LITTLE-FLAPPY-BATTERY-*CONTACT*-PIECES had SNAPPED-OFF! -- At the Bottom of the BATTERY-CHAMBER... And, the COVER-FLAP wasn't doing so great, either...

However, with a JIGGLE Here & There, the BATTERY managed to "CONTACT" and I had "POWER"! Granted, taking PICS was now slightly "cumbersome", but IT still "WORKED"!

FAST-FORWARD to about a Couple of Weeks ago... For "SOME" Reason, the CONTACT-PIECE under the OTHER BATTERY had *also* SNAPPED!! - *REALLY* NOT "GOOD"!

NOW, I had TWO LITTLE-PIECES-OF-METAL at the Bottom of the BATTERY-CHAMBER to JIGGLE into "Place"!! -- But, hey, I've always been rather SKILLED at that PUTTING-THE-SEVERAL-BALL-BEARINGS-INTO-THE-DIVETS TOY. And, while IN a MOVING Vehicle!!


**NOTE** -- Should You have THIS "Problem" with BOTH CONTACT-PIECES "Floating" around - **IMMEDIATELY** REMOVE THE BATTERIES!! - And, WRITE-OFF the DEVICE...

I'M SERIOUS!



"THE INCIDENT"

So. It's *after* 3AM... And, after MUCH "FIDDLING", and Another SET of *FRESH*-BATTERIES, I *FINALLY* get THE CAMERA to "WORK"!!

A Few SHOTS later, they get Transferred to the COMPUTER via the SD CARD. The CARD is put back into THE CAMERA, then IT's "wrapped-up" in IT's "POUCH"... That, **THANKFULLY**, I did *NOT* PUT-"AWAY" right away!!

Around 4AM-ish, I'm *still* WRITING and tweaking "YESTERDAY's"-POST... I decide to take a "short"-Break and begin to tidy-up a few Things...

hmm... THE POUCH is "WARM"..?! -- "WHY"?!? -- The Temp in here is about 57F. THE POUCH has been on TOP of My Duvet...

oh.. **F*CK**!! - [and, "repeat" MANY times!!]

I got THE CAMERA out of THE POUCH... PEELED away the not-quite-melted-to-it-*yet*-Foam-Wrapper... "Part" of the BATTERY-CHAMBER-FLIP-COVER was ALREADY **MELTED**, but still managed to get IT OPENED! -- *IN* Time!

SAVED the SD CARD!! -- WHEW! - [screw THE CAMERA!]

And, THEN, it took Me SEVERAL Minutes to PRY-OUT the BATTERIES!! - Their Plastic-Outer-Casings had MELTED-off a bit and stuck to the Chamber-Sides...

MEANWHILE, I have TWO *still* HOT AA-BATTERIES needing a "place" to BE, that WON'T CHEMICALLY-REACT-CATCH-FIRE-MELT-BURN-DOWN-THE-HOUSE...?!!

And, did I Mention that it's "now" 4:30AM..? -- oh. And, The-ELDERLY-PARENTAL-UNITS don't know that I STAY-UP *this* LATE! -- NOR, would SETTING-OFF-AN-ALARM be a "Good-Thing"!

So. THERE I was in the "LAUNDRY"-"FURNACE"-ROOM, with a FLASHLIGHT, QUIETLY *looking* for a GLASS JAR to pop These LITTLE-DISASTERS-WAITING-TO-HAPPEN into... Of ALL the "TOOLS" and HARDWARE *CRAP* that MOTHER has around Here, You'd think that I could Find ONE *EMPTY* GLASS-JAR..?! -- I *know* She has ONE...

wait... Those "chipped" CERAMIC "SHELL"-DISHES over There... yeah. THEY'll "do"!

okay... Got the BATTERIES out of the soon-to-be-Trashed-IF-it-doesn't-*stick*-to-My-Hand-or-Plastic-Bag and into the DISH. Covered IT with the OTHER-DISH. Placed THEM atop the WASHING-MACHINE. -- The *only* Spot "CLEAR" of ANYthing *FLAMMABLE*!

Also, left a "NOTE"... In the Event, that MOTHER decides to do some Laundry whilst I'm still ASLEEP..?



"THE AFTERMATH"

well... THE CAMERA is a *DEFINITE* WRITE-OFF!! -- I'll have to see IF IT can be "Salvaged" for PARTS..? - Except for the MELTED-BITS, I think the SCREEN and LENS-ASSEMBLY could be RE-used, IF there's NO "HEAT-DAMAGE"..?

Going to *have* to go *NEW*-CAMERA-SHOPPING now! -- Don't need a "Fancy"-One... Since I don't have - [or need] - a "SMART-PHONE", another SIMILAR CAMERA will suffice. Although, I would prefer One with a LARGE VIEW-SCREEN like the DEAD-ONE's. -- All the Better to SCAN those "COUPON-BARCODES" from!

So, UNLESS I "use" MOTHER's CAMERA, THE BLOOG will likely be a tad PHOTO-LESS for a Week or so..? -- Or, I'll just "borrow" Some of SISTER's?! - [really. What are *SIBLINGS* for, eh?]

Meanwhile, the BATTERIES eventually COOLED-DOWN and *didn't* LEAK! - yay! - And, got wrapped-up and are awaiting Future SAFE-DISPOSAL...

I ended up NOT getting TO Bed *until* "8:30AM"!! - Then, "Forced" Myself OUT of IT around 2PM-ish... The REMAINDER of the Day was pretty much NON-Descript! - THANKFULLY!!

oh. gee. LOOK-AT-THE-TIME!! -- NEED to "POST" THIS *BEFORE* DAWN!!

*****************************************************************

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10